Peer Leadership Training
Fall 2017 thru Winter 2018:
Oct. 23, 2017 - Feb. 14, 2018
Applications are now closed.
The Awake Youth Project's (AYP) Peer Leadership Training (PLT) teaches, supports and mentors a small, motivated group of teens and young adults (ages 15 - 21) in a 5-month intensive practice and exploration of mindfulness and meditation tools for everyday living, health and well-being.
PLT provides participants with current skills and knowledge to potentially facilitate guided meditations, small group discussions, games, cooking and other mindfulness techniques. We also support our participants in developing and maintaining such well-being offerings in their schools and communities! Our at-home assignments are intended to nourish life, not interfere with life.
AYP's dedicated staff and volunteers all live unique lives using mindfulness and meditation tools as teachers, artists, counselors, cooks, movement instructors, community members, and more. Our intention is for PLT graduates to embody a more confident, courageous practice already begun!
- Open to ages 15 - 21.
- Have experience in at least one of the following:
- graduated from AYP's Spring Internship Program,
- attended at least one (1) Inward Bound Mindfulness Education (iBme) retreat,
- have a personal mindfulness/meditation practice for 3-months or more,
- or, you may persuade us as to why your unique practice meets requirements :-)
- Must be able to attend the majority of our weekly sessions, missing no more than four (4) sessions. Make up sessions are possible based on AYP staff availability.
Please feel free to inquire with us about requirements: email@example.com / (718) 701-1083.
Application and Program Dates:
- Applications are now closed.
- Space available for seven (7) trainees. Maybe a few more!
- Applications due Monday, October 9*
- Acceptance Letters Emailed by Monday, October 16.
- Program Dates: Mondays & Wednesdays | 4-6p | Oct. 23, 2017 - Feb. 14, 2018^
- Free / No Cost to you!
- Travel stipends available (inquire after acceptance into the training).
*Applications received after this date will be placed on our waiting list.
^No sessions during the following dates in support of New York Public School closings: 11/22, 12/25/17 - 1/3/18 (return 1/8/18) and 1/15/18.
Meet some of our PLT Graduates:
Access Notes to BZC: There is one short flight of stairs leading to the entrance to the building. Please press 3-0 to be buzzed in. The center is located at the top of a steeper second staircase of 28 steps. A ramp and elevator are available via an alternate entrance; please email or call in advance if you need access. Chairs, benches, and extra support cushions are available. We are not yet a fragrance-free space; our hand soap is scented with essential oils. If you have any additional questions about accessibility, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org / (718) 701-1083.